Stuffing Hash Cakes with Poached Eggs, Country Ham & Mushroom Gravy
Yield: 8 Stuffing Cakes with Eggs
Ingredients for Poached Eggs:
- 8 whole large eggs
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
Ingredients for Mushroom Gravy:
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 2 cups of shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 cups Swanson Vegetable Broth
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Ingredients for Stuffing Hash Cakes:
- 1 pound of leftover stuffing
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (to sauté stuffing)
- 8 ounces sliced cooked ham
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, over medium-high heat. When the butter starts to sizzle, add the mushrooms and cook, sauté for 10 minutes, or until the mushroom juices have evaporated, and have begun to brown. Stir in the flour and reduce the heat to medium, and cook for another 5 minutes. Whisk in 1 cup of Swanson Vegetable Broth. Once incorporated, add remaining 3 cups of Swanson Vegetable Broth; then add dried thyme and bring back to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- For poaching eggs, first bring water in a shallow saucepan to almost a boil. If the water is already boiling, lower the heat until it is no longer boiling. At this point, you can add two teaspoons of white vinegar to the water. The vinegar is important as it will allow the egg whites to congeal more easily. Working with the eggs one by one, crack into a small cup, then place the cup near the surface of the hot water and gently drop the egg into the water. With a large spoon, nudge the egg whites closer to their yolks. This will help the egg whites hold together. Turn off the heat and cover. Let sit for 4 minutes, until the egg whites are cooked. Lift eggs out of pan with a slotted spoon and repeat until all eggs are poached. You can place previously poached eggs onto a paper towel lined plate while poaching the remainder of the eggs. Before assembling this dish, dip the poached eggs into warm water to reheat and remove with slotted spoon.
- To form stuffing hash cake: use a 2-4 ounce scoop of cooked stuffing and shape into rounds to resemble an English muffin. In a large skillet melt 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter and pan-sear each stuffing round on each side until browned and crispy. Remove to a plate.
- Place a slice of warm ham on top of each round of stuffing. Arrange poached egg over ham and spoon piping hot mushroom gravy over egg. Serve.
For variety, you can place sautéed spinach with the ham underneath the egg for a nice Florentine touch.