Pineapple Ginger Upside-Down Cake
Yields: 1 8-inch cake
- ½ cup (1 stick) plus 1 tbsp unsalted butter, plus extra for the pan, at room temperature
- 2 cup pineapple
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350° F and butter an 8-inch cake pan.
- Melt 1 tbsp pf the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pineapple, ginger, sesame oil, and ¼ cup of brown sugar to cook, tossing, until the sugar dissolves and the juices from the pineapple become syrupy, 3 to 4 minutes. Arrange the pineapple in the cake pan and spoon any pan juices over the top.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, backing soda, and salt.
- With an electric mixer, beat the remaining ½ cup of softened butter and 2/3 cup of granulated sugar until medium soft peaks. Mix in the egg, sour cream, and vanilla. Gradually add the flour mixture, mixing just until incorporated.
- Pour the batter over the pineapple and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 50-55 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 1 hour. Place a large plate over the cake pan and invert the cake onto the plate.