Cheddar Cheese Chive Buttermilk Biscuits
Yields 8 large Biscuits
- 1 ½ cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ tablespoon sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 ½ cups Shredded Cheddar
- 1 teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper
- ¼ cup Chives
- ½ stick (1/4 cup) chilled Unsalted Butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
- ¾ cup well-shaken Buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Milk or Cream for brushing Biscuits
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 425°.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda, onto a sheet of wax paper then sift again into bowl and add pepper, cheddar, and chives. Blend in butter with your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk and stir with a fork until a dough just forms (dough will be moist).
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead gently 6 times. Pat out dough on a floured surface with floured hands, re-flouring surface if necessary, into an 8x5 ½ inch rectangle. Trim all 4 sides with a knife, dusting knife edge with flour before each cut. Cut rectangle in half lengthwise, then into thirds crosswise to form 6 (2 ½-inch) squares, flouring knife between cuts. Transfer biscuits with a metal spatula to an ungreased baking sheet, arranging them 2 inches apart, and brush tops with milk of cream. Bake until pale golden, 12-15 minutes, then transfer to a rack and cool to room temperature.