Bass Lake Huevos Rancheros
Yield: 4 large servings
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- 1 medium Red Onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 pound Tomatillos
- 1 pound Cherry Tomatoes
- 6 Pasilla Chilies, de-stemmed and deseeded
- 1 cup Vegetable Stock
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup fresh Cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 4 Corn Tortillas
- 8 fresh Eggs
- ¼ cup pre-made Guacamole
- ¼ cup Sour Cream
- ½ cup shredded Mexican style Cheese
- Over an open fire on a hot sheet pan or large skillet add olive oil, pasilla chilies and roast until tender, then add onions and cook until they are translucent. Add tomatillos, cherry tomatoes and cook until they are soft and about to burst (8-10 minutes). Then add chili powder, ground cumin and simmer ingredients over the fire until everything is soft and tender. Place ingredients into a blender in batches with cilantro, salt, and vegetable stock and puree until smooth.
- Prepare the tortillas in foil over the fire until heated through.
- Once everything is pureed adjust seasoning and return to a large skillet and bring to a simmer. Poach the eggs in this tomato/chili sauce, about 6-8 minutes over medium-low heat. Once the eggs are poached, spoon 2 eggs with sauce over a tortilla. Top with sour cream, guacamole and cheese.